Study of 'A'mada Nubia'
English School, 19th century
Dimensions: 13 x 27.5
Framed Dimensions: 29.5 x 42.4 cm
Titled 'A'mada Nubia' and dated '8 Jany 1862', bottom left-hand corner.
Study from the sketchbook, 'Sketches in the East', of 'J.D.T', an as yet unidentified English watercolour artist. The temple of Amada, depicted here seemingly emerging from the sand, is the oldest Egyptian temple in Nubia having initially been founded by the 18th Dynasty pharaoh, Thutmose III (1479-1425 BC). Located c.180 km south of the High Dam, this was one of the numerous monuments moved as a result of the threat of flooding by the rising waters of Lake Nasser. Between 1964 and 1975 the temple was relocated on higher ground about 2.5 kms from its original site.