Study of 'Dendoor Nubia'
English School, 19th century
Dimensions: 17.5 x 25 cm
Framed Dimensions: 34 x 41.6 cm
Titled 'Dendoor Nubia' and dated '11 Jany 1862'.
Study from the sketchbook, 'Sketches in the East', of 'J.D.T', an as yet unidentified English watercolour artist. The temple of Dendur was commissioned by the Emperor Augustus and built by the Roman governor of Egypt, Petronius c.15 BC.
Along with Abu Simbel, this is one of the most renowned of the numerous monuments moved as a result of the threat of flooding by the rising waters of Lake Nasser. It was given to the United States in 1965 in recognition of their assistance with the relocation programme made necessary by the building of the Aswan High Dam. It has been on display in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York since 1978.