Study of the interior a monument at El Kab
English School, 19th century
Dimensions: 39 x 28 cm
Framed Dimensions: 58 x 46.5 cm
A study executed in a striking palette primarily of reds and terracottas over pencil by the Rev. John Louis Petit (1801–1868). This probably depicts the interior of the small temple dedicated to Hathor and Nekhbet, dating from the 18th Dynasty and decorated with scenes of rituals and images of Tuthmose IV and Amenhotep III. One of the oldest settlements of Upper Egypt, El Kab is situated on the east bank of the Nile between Esna and Edfu.
Born in Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire and educated at Eton and Cambridge, the Rev Petit was an accomplished artist publishing a number of books on church architecture. He sketched rapidly and always painted 'plein air', finishing his drawings on site. In 1864-5 he travelled extensively in the East returning home with a collection of studies which included this fine example.
Inscribed on the reverse in red ink '1865 A 35', and in pencil 'El Kab, 10th March 1865' and separately '115', '450' and 'Amenoph 3'.